Monday, May 21, 2012

Victoria Day Gardening

I have been in and out my vegetable/ flower garden since 6am.
The weather is simply lovely outside.
Warm and breezy.
Great getting burn type weather.
Hard to believe we had frost just this past week!
This is my new patch of ground. I still need more top soil, but am trying to make due with what I have here in rotted manure. This plot is a quarter circle and is 18 x18 feet. It has my squash,cabbage, flowering beans and different flower seeds now planted in it. There still is room for cucumbers and melons.
My old vegetable patch is 40' x48 and growing.
Here in the foreground is spinach and then snow peas. We are in real need of rain.The ground is very dry.I still need to put the bush beans in the ground, but decided to quit for the day in high hopes off some promised rain tonight.
The rain barrels are more then half empty as I water the seeds and seedling I put in the ground.
The Bamboo up by the kitchen has shot up this warm weekend. It loves the heat and dryness. However I am not over fond of it. This evening before evening chores, I hope to cut off some of the shoots before they spread all over the lawn.

I also cut some lawn this afternoon by the barn. Just cut it a week ago. It takes 6 hours to cut it all, so I tend to rotate areas that I cut and do a little at a time. The teenager often helps me.

I am making soup broth in the slow cooker for a simple meal one night this week. It basically is just vegetable scraps, and skins with 8 cups of water in the slow cooker on low for 8 hours. I will drain it through a mill, feed the waste to the dogs/ chickens, and have vegetable broth for soups.

3 comments:

Paula said...

Wow, you're garden looks great. Colin's going to start planting out by the weekend. Right now he's busy trying to get the other 46 acres of soybeans in. We're hoping the rain holds off until Sunday :)

Anonymous said...

Perfect way to use up everything... enjoy the broth.
m.

Anonymous said...

Undeniably believe that which you stated. Your favorite reason appeared to be on the internet
the simplest factor to be aware of. I say to
you, I certainly get annoyed even as folks consider issues that they plainly do not realize about.

You managed to hit the nail upon the highest and also defined out the entire thing without having side-effects , people can take
a signal. Will likely be again to get more. Thanks

Check out my site - auto insurance terms ()