Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Homemaking Day

It is another beautiful day here, sunny bright and going to be warm. I have been at work here in the home since very early this morning. Dearest is going on his annual camping trip with 'the men' starting tomorrow evening and I have been preparing food and airing out his sleep gear and coveralls and equipment.

I have a homemaking binder I keep with menu plans and emergency lists ect. In it is a complete camping list of what he is to bring with him so he has everything when he is up in no-man-land. The list is tacked to the fridge and slowly things are mounting here in the kitchen to be loaded in the car.

Eldest daughter works at a grocery store. Half the time in the Deli and the other half ( bigger part this time of year) in the produce. I like it when she works produce because all the waste of vegetables she has to cut off to make it more presentable to the public gets in a composter and comes here for my chickens. Also anything just about to go bad she packs up and brings home. Last night a huge box with apples, clementines , grapefruit strawberries, celery, broccoli,and 20 sweet peppers. This is all free for me, and yes makes me very happy!! But none of it is local grown, which disheartens me. I know we don't grow these types of items here this time of year, but the apples above come from Chili! Oh well, enjoy....right?
So this morning I was washing and cutting the sweet peppers for the freezer, and the apples into sauce. A double batch of stew is in the slow cooker.

My seedlings need to be planted in the ground over the next few days. The remains of the lawn need its first cutting. Ironing and mending. Oh! And the car goes in for a barring repair this afternoon, third one this year!! I shall knit while waiting. I am almost done another doll.

Yesterday in the city getting food for Dearest trip I had my youngest with me wearing one of my bonnets. In Shoppers Drug Mart alone seven people stopped me to say what a sweet bonnet on my daughter. At the library a fellow with tattoos all over him chuckled and said" she was the sweetest thing he had seen in awhile" I am thinking more and more of smocking and selling via the farmers market. Just have little ones around wearing the bonnets...........that seems to sell on its own.

Off to get some housework done. Have a fantastic day.

3 comments:

Paula said...

No Frills has apples from Newcastle, Ont on sale. A big 6lb bag. I picked up a couple. I'm going to try and stock up on applesauce for the winter when apples skyrocket in price or get scarce. Colin's uncle has a greenhouse in Harrow and they lost about 80% of the apple blossoms this year. You know what I'll be doing the next few days :)

Anonymous said...

My Sweet Friend, your such a busy women..but I see time to yourself in the future..Enjoy your man-free days!
~~HUGS~~

Anonymous said...

First off I would like to say awesome blog! I had a quick question in which I'd like to ask if you do not mind. I was curious to find out how you center yourself and clear your head prior to writing. I have had difficulty clearing my mind in getting my thoughts out there. I do enjoy writing however it just seems like the first 10 to 15 minutes are wasted just trying to figure out how to begin. Any suggestions or hints? Thanks!

Review my webpage ... commercial auto insurance quotes - trilln.com -