Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Thinking of Chicks

I get a good production of eggs a day here. Enough that I sell two dozen a week for 8 hens and still have enough for our baking and eating. But with a rooster in the picture I am hoping that soon my hens will be brooding and within the month I will have baby chicks.
Yesterday I cleaned out the coop. Today I shall make some nesting boxes for my ladies. An encouragement perhaps for what I want, maybe not what they want?

Anyway I have seen the fellow at work. Just wish I was more patient.

3 comments:

Janet said...

Farm fresh eggs taste so much better than grocery store eggs. I get mine from my local CSA. I looked into keeping chickens in our town - but unfortunately there's a by-law against them.

GrannyAnnie said...

Sounds like your chickens are doing really well. The best to you on an abundance of new chicks!

My 3 meat-variety hens are actually laying pretty decently, and they are really large eggs, too. I am hoping one of them goes broody soon. My 4 free-range hens were laying really well, but Herman (the opossum) spooked them, they moved their nest (it was just right outside my front door-very convenient), and I have yet to find it. I have 11 hens and a rooster in my main egg laying chicken pen. They took forever to start laying, then started shooting eggs out like machine guns ... then... nothing! We strongly suspect something(s) is getting our precious eggs. No matter what time of day I check them, there are no eggs, but they are upkeeping their little nest. I am actually considering camping out next to their pen for 24 hours or so and see what I find.

Anonymous said...

I pay a quick visit daily a few web pages and information sites
to read articles, but this weblog presents feature based writing.


Feel free to visit my website automobile auto insurance ()