Tuesday, April 17, 2012

In Need of Rain

Yesterday was like a summer day here with the exception of the wind. I believe that the storms in the States pushed a air pressure up here to create,what for the morning anyway ,was a nice 'summer' day.
I had a ton of inside work to do. But when I brought the recycling out around 9am, I knew that was all shot to heck. It was way too nice outside to be inside worrying about the state of my kitchen cupboards. I threw the doors and windows of the house opened and let the warmer air inside the cool house. This morning I am paying for it as my allergies are wicked. Honey, honey, honey. Just keep eating it until the leaves are on the trees.
I moved next years firewood to the porch to dry in the sun. It didn't take me long doing this and my sweater was taken off, and shirt sleeves rolled up. The youngest, I made keep on her sweater as she is active, then still. I didn't want her getting a chill. She painted on the back porch for about an hour, on a piece of wood. Very content to be outside.
After lunch, which consisted of honey! Little one went to nap and I worked on the garden. The wind had picked up big time and dark clouds were heading in. I thought if I could get it all turned over, and then the rain fell, I would be so joyfully happy. Toddler woke up at 3pm. I had to put the sweater back on her and a bonnet. The wind just blew her away. She tried to help Daddy with the smaller logs, but landed out with me in the garden and a spade.

My good news to report on is that I have ALL my gardens now turned over ready for planting. I re-edged them all this year, which took time. I had not done this for at least three years. Normally we still are getting some snow this time of year ( did last year) and I am not working too hard in the garden and rather working on spring cleaning. Since the soil is dry and easy to work it is nice to get it done now. And since the blackflies and mosquitoes are not here yet, this is a great opportunity to get the garden turned over. The clouds kept getting darker and then at 4pm'ish it rained for 3 minutes and then the sun and wind took over and that was that!
I have never measured my garden before. I thought to do this and found the main garden to be 84 'X 14' and the new garden to be 20' x 20'. I do rotating gardening right up until the last planting in September. Every year has its own challenges. So far this year the lack of moisture. But that could all change again and we could have wet summers like the last three summers, making it hard to bring in hay. Time will tell.

This morning it is cold out. I had to bring in firewood early this morning and get the cookstove burning again. I will be inside today. Helping teenager with chemistry and washing my kitchen floors. Dearest car goes into the shop to get snow tires off and summer tires on and I need to get to the Hardware store for a new blade for my handsaw, as cutting through the wood is getting increasingly difficult with last years blade.

As I am typing this I am downloading photo's from my camera onto my Photobucket site and washing portions of the floor.

9 comments:

Jane and Chris said...

Our earth has deep cracks in it...we really need rain.
Jane x
PS We have a fire going too...it's so cold after yesterday.

GrannyAnnie said...

Your daughter and your cat are ADORABLE!! And the flowers are beautiful! Grape Hyacinths? I must remember to get some of those this Fall. I forget every year, then wish I had them in the spring.
I do hope and pray you get rain soon. Sounds like it was a beautiful day, except for the wind. That must have been the wind that was here and pushed up your way. It was strong! Do you hand cut all of your firewood?

Buttons Thoughts said...

Oh love the photos yes we need rain too. It is going to be a very interesting summer.
Nice day enjoy all this nice weather while you can. Take care. B

simplicityinthemaking said...

Anna we cut the smaller branches by hand. The ones that wiggle as you try and cut them! The rest by chainsaw.

Paula said...

Your soil must be nicer than ours :) I need to get some weeding done but need rain first. Our clay soil gets so hard when it's dry.

Ella loves being out these days too. We have 60 acres of swamp along the river so soon the mosquitoes will be out. Isn't the wind crazy? It's not looking too bad this morning. Hopefully it's done blowing for a while.

Either that or blow up some rain clouds (gentle rain).

Paula

Karen said...

The fire situation is very bad up our way. I know of two pretty serious fires close by in the past week. The Ministry of Natural Resources is flying around keeping an eye on things. That rain can't come to soon.

Anonymous said...

Hello there I am so happy I found your web site, I really found you by mistake, while I was looking on Aol for something else, Nonetheless I am
here now and would just like to say thanks a lot for a tremendous post and a all round exciting blog (I
also love the theme/design), I don't have time to browse it all at the moment but I have book-marked it and also added your RSS feeds, so when I have time I will be back to read a lot more, Please do keep up the superb work.

My web blog find cheap auto Insurance online

Anonymous said...

Hi! Do you know if they make any plugins to help with SEO?
I'm trying to get my blog to rank for some targeted keywords but I'm not seeing very good results.
If you know of any please share. Appreciate it!


Also visit my page - free quotes on car insurance

Yuma Countertops said...

Thaank you